20100819

Aşkım

In Turkey, Erdoğan tells me, bread is compareable to the Quran. You can swear with your hand placed on a loaf of bread. You never disrespect bread by placing it on the table upside down. He looks at my way of eating my bread and advices how to make it more Turkish - always eat by ripping off one small piece at a time, and never use your teeth for that. I've also learned that to show respect you should never lay down during the call to prayer and that local men are usually surprisingly talented at singing.

The day I arrived was the second day of Ramadan. Every evening people gather in their yards, homes and around tens of tables placed in each park and wait until the time is 10 past 20 hours. Lights between the minarets in mosques say things like 'Merhaba Ramazan' or islamic wisdoms, my first nights here I woke up to ramadan related sounds from the streets in the middle of the night but I've gotten used to them already. I've gotten used to crossing the street running and stirring my Turkish tea furiously to cool it down. I've gotten an invitation to a wedding and joined the group of people who dislike şalgam.

The first day, when I was left for half an hour in the yard of the Sultanahmet Camii still wondering what is going on, listening to the call to prayer that started at that very moment, I thought I was so happy I could die.

No comments:

Post a Comment